The Open Space Publications and Multiples Fair in Baltimore this past weekend was freaking great. Here’s my scene report.
1. Open Space member Sarah Konigsburg and her boyfriend Matt Clough were incredible hosts. Here’s a picture of a little sculpture by Matt that sat over their staircase:
And their awesome wall of air plants:
2. The fair was GREAT. Amazing traffic on both days, lots of people actually bought things, nice people, and so on and so forth. The organizers really did a fantastic job.
3. I had a great talk with Mickey Zacchilli about ecsema. I’m not sure she’d agree with me that it was a great talk, but she gave me very good advice (moisturize). She remains one of my top 10 favorite people in the world (after myself, my family, and the survivng members of Devo). Here’s a picture of a can of Yoo Hoo.
4. Mitchell Goodrich was possibly the nicest table neighbor I’ve ever had. He was so nice that at several points over the course of the weekend I wanted to punch him to see whether he’d still be nice to me. Here’s a picture of the comic Mi Kasa that he made with Andrew Liang and Nick Iluzada.
5. I didn’t get out from behind my table much to buy many comics, but the one thing I’m super excited about is the two issues Zoe Burke's Sanpa Ku that I picked up. It has hand-stitched cloth covers and the first page reads “Spoiler Alert: You Will Die.”
6. The highlight of my weekend was when I trying to tell the parents of an 8 year old kid at my table that some of the comics were not age appropriate, and the kid looked at me with wide, excited eyes and said “At home we have a snow globe with the F-word in it.” The kid bought two Neil Fitzpatrick comics on Saturday, and sent his parents back to buy a third on Sunday.
7. If, like me, you wash your hands 20-30 times a day, Baltimore is not for you.
Looking forward to next year!